May 8, 2019
Equinix Extends the Digital Edge with 12 New Data Centers and 23 Expansions Opening in 2019
Global interconnection platform accelerates business transformation in the digital age
SINGAPORE — May 9, 2019 — Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, will open 12 new International Business ExchangeTM (IBX®) data centers and expand 23 existing IBX data centers in 2019 as part of an expected US$1.730 to 1.920 billion of non-recurring capital expenditure expansion program for the year as announced on the company’s Q1 2019 earnings call.
Equinix plays a strategic role in advancing enterprise digital transformation, for which global businesses are demanding increasing levels of direct and private connectivity with customers and partners. The interconnection is optimally achieved through the robust ecosystems of clouds, networks and services available at Equinix globally. By providing new capacity in 2019, Equinix continues to extend Platform Equinix®, further enabling companies to deploy their IT infrastructure and services at the digital edge in more than 50 metros across the globe.
The following new IBX data centers will open in 2019 and, where applicable, will be directly connected to other Equinix IBX data centers within each metro via fiber links between the sites.
- In Asia-Pacific
- Singapore – Equinix will open its fourth IBX in Singapore, SG4, as announced on January 7, 2019. SG4 will be strategically situated at the East of Singapore in one of the country's five data center clusters—Tai Seng Industrial Estate—providing location diversity from the three existing Equinix IBX data centers in Singapore.
- Shanghai – In February 2019, Equinix opened its fifth IBX in Shanghai. Located in the Pudong Free-Trade Zone, the SH6 IBX data center is the largest Equinix facility in Shanghai and is a hub for the trading and financial services sectors.
- Tokyo – To support the growing demand for increased levels of interconnection from the cloud, network and financial services sectors, Equinix will open its eleventh and largest IBX in Tokyo, TY11.
- Melbourne – Equinix will open its fourth IBX in Melbourne, ME2, as announced on March 11, 2019. Equinix Melbourne IBX data centers offer strong network and cloud connectivity as well as direct access to the Victoria Internet Exchange. In addition, Equinix Melbourne data centers allow Equinix customers to be located in the second- largest economy in Australia.
- Seoul – South Korea is one of the top 15 largest economies in the world and one of the most vibrant digital economies globally—with high bandwidth and advanced applications driving many of its industries. To support this high-growth market, Equinix will open its first IBX in South Korea, SL1, as announced on January 14, 2019.
- Sydney – Equinix will open its eighth IBX in Sydney, SY5, as announced on February 25, 2019. SY5 will be Equinix’s largest IBX in Australia.
- In the U.S. and EMEA, IBX data centers opening in 2019 are PA8 in Paris, SO2 in Sofia, HE7 in Helsinki, LD7 in London, WA3 in Warsaw and HH1 in Hamburg.
- 2019 Expansions of Existing IBX Data Centers -- In addition to the 12 new IBX openings in 2019, Equinix expansions of existing IBX data centers include 23 projects that will open in 2019 in the Amsterdam, Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Frankfurt (three expansion projects), Hong Kong (three expansion projects), London (four expansion projects), Madrid, New York, Osaka, Paris, Perth, Seattle, Stockholm and Zurich (two expansion projects) metros.
- Equinix Sustainability – Equinix is committed to designing, building and operating its data centers with high energy efficiency standards, and it has a long-term goal of using 100% clean and renewable energy for the company’s global platform. In 2018, Equinix sourced clean and renewable energy for over 90% of its global data center footprint.
- Equinix Today – Equinix currently operates 202 IBX data centers in 24 countries and 52 metros across 22.2 million gross square feet of data center space. With more than 341,000 total interconnections that connect companies within the Equinix ecosystem, the company has more than 9,800 customers, including more than 1,800 networks and more than 2,900 cloud and IT service providers. Equinix customers include nearly half of the Fortune 500 and 35% of the Forbes Global 2000.
- Kelly Morgan, Vice President – Datacenter Infrastructure & Services, 451 Research
“Connectivity is critical for the development of modern distributed, hybrid, multicloud environments. Data center facilities that offer the ability to interconnect with an extensive ecosystem of network and cloud providers can provide enterprises with distinctive strategic advantages in their markets. Equinix’s data centers and its expanding interconnection platform provide the type of environment that enables companies to accelerate their cloud strategies and execute on digital transformation.”
- Charles Meyers, CEO, Equinix
“As digital transformation is reshaping virtually every industry across the globe, companies are thinking differently about how they interact with every element of their supply chain, and a clear architecture of choice is emerging – one that is cloud-first, distributed and hybrid. To achieve this, their architecture needs to be deployed at the digital edge, where Equinix resides and continues to expand its unmatched global reach with the investments we are making in 2019 and beyond.”
- Samuel Lee, President, Equinix Asia-Pacific
“In Asia-Pacific, businesses are evolving rapidly as they constantly pursue greater growth and efficiency in a technology-advancing world. We are excited that there will be more digital flags planted in Asia-Pacific markets to help increase out unrivaled global reach, which will accelerate the time-to-value for the investments that businesses are making in their digital transformation journeys.”
- Equinix IBX Data Center Virtual Tour [Video]
- Transform your business at the Digital Edge [Video]
- Gartner Report - The Edge Completes the Cloud [Gartner Report]
- 451 Research - Equinix continues to expand throughout APAC [451 Research Report]
Equinix,Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX) connects the world's leading businesses to their customers, employees and partners inside the most interconnected data centers. On this global platform for digital business, companies come together across more than 50 markets on five continents to reach everywhere, interconnect everyone and integrate everything they need to create their digital futures. Equinix.sg.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX data centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix products and solutions; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenues from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; a failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; risks related to our taxation as a REIT; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see recent Equinix quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
(Asia-Pacific) Annie Ho, Equinix, +852 2970-7761, email@example.com; (Singapore) Camy Cheng, LEWIS, +65 6571 9156, equinixSG@teamlewis.com